Thursday 18 June 2009

June

Since uni finished two weeks ago, I've been hanging around between Donegal, Belfast and Dublin. Not all that much happening, but there have been a couple of things interesting recently.

Last week, I helped out Rui Chaves with part of his independent study for his MA. 5 of us went up into the top 5 floors of the old library tower in Queen's and switched on and off lights along the rows of books (14 on each floor), according to a timed score. Rui's going to use parts of it as an accompaniment to one of his compositions, which should be cool.


Here's a video of us in the library.


This week I was out getting some field recordings as a favour for an American composer, Robert Scott Thompson, who had contacted me via Freesound.org asking for sounds from the Belfast/Antrim area. I got some nice sounds from a small bird colony out on Belfast Lough at 6am, caves in Whitehead and some alright ones from City Centre. He's going to develop them into a Belfast-themed composition. I'll eventually get some of the sounds up on Radio Aporee.

I was in Dublin on Sunday all day loading out equipment from the Take That circus tour. It was a massive operation - 96 of us local crew, about 50 senior crew, 34 trucks full of equipment and a stage which stretched half the length of Croke Park. They would have grossed about €4,200,000 from ONE night's show (70,000 people at €60 a ticket), which took three days to set up and two to take down. Must get myself into a boyband.

Going to Slovenia tomorrow for 10 days, then back for a couple of days, after which i'm heading to the Pennines for a weekend before heading back to Belfast for graduation on the 8th July. Then I'll be looking for a job / roadtripping / getting stuck in to rugby pre-season / working at festivals / developing my Max/MSP skills / gigging with bands here and there etc. I just hope the weather stays good.

No comments:

Post a Comment